It is not against the law to own a weapon. As long as you have the correct paperwork you are legally permitted to own a firearm and other types of weaponry. However, it is against the law to use a weapon to intentionally cause harm or threaten to cause harm to someone else. Furthermore, when there is a weapon at the scene of another crime, from a sexual assault to a robbery, then all of a sudden the stakes are a lot higher and the consequences could be a lot worse. Whether you have been accused of possession of a weapon or another crime where a weapon was involved, your best defense is always to contact a Minneapolis criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Falsely Accused Of A Weapons Crime?
Due to the weapon possession laws across the state, it is possible to be falsely accused of a weapons crime simply because you own a gun. This is a violation of your civil rights and can end up costing you a lot more than you think. Even if you are completely innocent you need the best defense team out there to ensure that this accusation does not impact your professional and personal life. Offenses like:
- Carrying a concealed weapon or possession of an unregistered gun
- Unlicensed firearms or possession of a firearm by a minor
- Loaded firearm in a vehicle
- Carrying without a permit
- Negligent storage of a firearm
- Unlawful possession by ineligible person
- Federal firearms violations, including possession of a machine gun or silencer
These offenses come with major consequences including hefty fines and jail time not to mention a permanent mark on your record.
Gun And Weapon Crimes
Other weapon crimes can result in a felony offense. Some of the various weapon crimes cases that Brad Mathis handles include:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Brandishing a firearm
- Felon in possession
- Unlawful discharge of a weapon and unlawful sale of a firearm
- Possession of assault weapons
- Illegal sales of weapons
- False statement on gun applications
- Reckless discharge of a firearm within a municipality
- Intentional discharge of a firearm under circumstances that endanger the safety of another
Criminal Defense Attorney In Minneapolis
There are many evidentiary and constitutional complexities that surround weapon and gun crimes. For example, the gun may have been seized during an illegal search of a home or police errors may have been made during the gathering of evidence or fingerprinting. All you need to know at this stage is that all is not lost – there is always hope with the right criminal defense lawyer in your corner. Not only will Brad Mathis help ensure the best outcome possible and minimize damage to your reputation but he will also ensure that your constitutional rights are protected.